Connect with us
Byron Bay News and Weather copy
Mt Warning News and Weather copy
Kyogle News
Grafton News and Events copy
Byron Bay News and Weather copy
Mt Warning News and Weather copy
Kyogle News
Grafton News and Events copy
previous arrow
next arrow

National News Australia

Angelic signs as Charge of the Light Brigade remembered

Published

on

Advertisements
Alumy Creek Angus - Stud Angus Sires Tenterfield - Top of the Range Angus Genetics

Angelic signs as Charge of the Light Brigade remembered

By Samantha Elley

For some it will be a time of lollies and scary stuff as Halloween is celebrated on October 31. But this date also holds a significant memory in the history of the Australian military.

In 1917, on October 31, the Australian Light Horse Brigade came into their own, when during the Great War, the British Army and its allies faced a solid line of Turkish defence from Gaza to Beersheba in Palestine.

According to military historian, Col Stringer, the generals were desperate.

“58,000 British infantry with tank support had been driven back into the desert and with the sun about to set and with no water for many miles, disaster stared them squarely in the face,” he said.

“The Australian Light Horse Commander Chauvel’s orders were to storm Beersheba; it had to be won before nightfall at all costs. The situation was fast becoming grave as the British were in urgent need of 400,000 gallons of water for their men and horses.”

Henry George Chauvel was the son of a grazier from Tabulam, better known as Harry and had been commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Upper Clarence Light Horse, a unit organised by his father, Charles Chauvel in 1886.

“Chauvel concocted a bold plan,” said Stringer.

“Why not let his 800 horsemen charge the Turkish artillery?

“A cavalry charge across 6,000 yards of open terrain straight into the face of the massed Turkish guns and… odds of 6:1 against them.”

Stringer said it was no wonder the Germans called the Aussie Lighthorsemen ‘madmen’.

“The young men mounted their magnificent ‘walers’ and lined up to face the Turkish guns, their faces bronzed and tanned from the desert sun, their emu plumes fluttering in the breeze, rifles swung across their backs and bayonets in hand,” Stringer recounted.

“History was about to be written.”

Stringer goes on to say the “mad Aussies” charged magnificently across the dusty plains.

“So fast in fact that the Turkish artillery could not keep pace with them, and they were able to slip under their field guns,” he said.

“As they leapt the trenches laced with machine gun bullets, a magnificent cheer went up from the British ranks, such was the magnificence of the feat.

“Although outnumbered and outgunned they charged on.

“The Turkish guns blazed at those hazy horsemen, but they came steadily on.

“At one mile distance, they emerged from clouds of dust, squadrons of men and horses taking shape.”

Stringer said that after the victory, captured Turkish and German officers described how they never dreamed that mounted troops would be mad enough to attempt rushing infantry protected by machine-guns and artillery.

“Beersheba – the gateway to Jerusalem, was opened that day, not by the Crusaders, or Napoleon, not by the British or US Armies – but by the Australian Light Horsemen!” said Stringer.

“These Aussie Light Horsemen had achieved what 58,000 British troops with tanks could not do, what even the Crusaders or Napoleon could not do! They had opened the doorway to Jerusalem against unbelievable odds.

“Jerusalem, after 400 years of occupation was about to be freed!

“As one Israeli later put it: ‘Had Beersheba not been captured that day then we Israelis may not be here today.’”

Stringer goes on to say that one of the most extraordinary aspects of the liberation of Jerusalem was the claim of men having seen angels.

“From General Sir Harry Chauvel down to the officers and troopers, visions of ancient buildings, strange animals, lighted villages and angelic beings were witnessed en masse,” said Stringer

“The stories of hundreds of men were corroborated through cross-checking examinations.

“As there was no logical explanation, officially the incident was recorded as ‘lack of sleep’……

“Reports of angelic beings appearing during the fighting, occurred right up to the cessation of hostilities in 1918.

“They are too numerous to detail.

“Statements were also taken from captured enemy officers who had witnessed the same manifestations. General Allenby called for detailed reports and interviewed witnesses himself.”

Col Springer will be visiting Tabulam Church on January 23, 2022. More details closer to the date.

Advertisements
Tenterfield-The Bowlo

Local News

Fit for the Long Haul: NHVR Urges Truck Drivers to Prioritise Well-Being This Men’s Health Week

Published

on

By

NHVR CEO Sal Petroccitto OAM - Truck Drivers Men’s Health Week
Advertisements
Alumy Creek Angus - Stud Angus Sires Tenterfield - Top of the Range Angus Genetics

Fit for the Long Haul: NHVR Urges Truck Drivers to Prioritise Well-Being This Men’s Health Week

 

The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) is urging truck drivers to prioritise their mental and physical health during Men’s Health Week.

NHVR CEO Sal Petroccitto OAM highlighted the unique challenges truck drivers face, such as long hours on the road and extended periods away from family and friends. “Men’s Health Week is a crucial time for truck drivers to reflect on their well-being and make it a top priority,” Mr. Petroccitto said.

Truck drivers are vital to Australia’s logistics network, but the demands of the industry can take a toll on their health. Long periods of sitting and the isolating nature of the job contribute to higher rates of mental and physical health issues among heavy vehicle drivers.

“It’s imperative for all truck drivers to remember that their mental and physical health comes first,” Mr. Petroccitto emphasised. He advised drivers to manage their health by exercising, eating healthy foods, and getting enough rest and sleep.

The NHVR is calling on industry partners to support a culture that values the mental health of truck drivers and reduces the stigma associated with seeking help. Through the Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative program, the NHVR is enhancing mental health resources for truck drivers, including funding projects like OzHelp Foundation’s Health in Gear program.

OzHelp CEO Caroline Walsh noted the high risk of suicide among truck drivers, the second-highest industry group at risk in Australia. The Health in Gear program offers on-road presence, online support, information, and counselling services for transport and logistics workers.

“Truck drivers need to know that while the road may be long, they are never alone,” Ms. Walsh said. OzHelp provides free counselling and 24/7 phone support for transport and logistics workers and their families at 1800 464 327.

For more information on the NHVR’s initiatives and resources available for truck drivers, visit the NHVR website.

 

For more New South Whales news, click here.

Advertisements
Tenterfield-The Bowlo
Continue Reading

Local News

KEEP UP THE MOMENTUM FOR ACTION ON DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

Published

on

By

Janelle Saffin on ACTION ON DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
Advertisements
Alumy Creek Angus - Stud Angus Sires Tenterfield - Top of the Range Angus Genetics

KEEP UP THE MOMENTUM FOR ACTION ON DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

 

By Janelle Saffin MP, Member for Lismore

I have fought for action on domestic violence for more than 40 years.

Recent horrific cases of domestic violence murders have led to a public outcry and media campaigns for action. I welcome the Minns Government announcement of a $230 million emergency package for DV prevention and support.

BUT we must keep up this momentum and not go quiet on this issue.  I want to share with you this excerpt of what I said in the last session of Parliament. (Edited for length)

DOMESTIC AND FAMILY VIOLENCE

Ms JANELLE SAFFIN (Lismore) (20:16): Domestic violence must stop. We all know it. We all say it. Molly should not have died, and her death cannot be in vain. There is a willingness and mobilisation on behalf of the whole community that I have not seen in the more than 40 years I have been involved in advocacy around domestic violence. I thought when I came back to this place that I could do some other things—but I cannot. I absolutely have to re-engage with everyone on trying to stop domestic violence.

Domestic violence is more than the physical act of violence; it is a spectrum of behaviour. In sociological terms, the spectrum extends from circumlocution—the derogatory comments, the bad words, the put‑downs—to extermination, which is murder. Women experience domestic violence right across that whole spectrum. It is not just being a little bit scared; it is living with terror. That absolute terror dominates those women’s lives at the hands of someone who is supposed to be a loving partner—someone they love. It is “What do I wear? What do I think? What do I do? Who do I talk to? Who do I text, because my phone will be monitored?”. Family and friends are moved away, but the perpetrator makes it look like the woman is doing that. Every act is under subjugation.

For women in that situation, it is like living with a sometimes benevolent dictator. Everything they do is circumscribed. It is hard to imagine raising children in that environment. These things have happened for a long time. I set up the Far North Coast Domestic Violence Liaison Committee. I worked in a refuge for years. Earlier, I have been at the forefront of changes, including changes to the laws. There was a Crimes Act, but women were not seen as worthy of protection under that law.

I was looking at the headlines and I thought, I hope they do not disappear quickly like they often do on this issue. I will read some of those headlines: “We’re sick of living in terror”, “This has to stop”, “How many more women have to die?”, “It was murder waiting to happen”, ,,”Time to tackle this crisis in our community”, “‘You get ostracised in a small town if you speak out'”—if you are the domestic violence victim. We know that it can happen anywhere, but it happens to a greater degree in some of those smaller country towns. “Why country women are sitting ducks”, “Misogyny driving violence” “It’s time for men to get uncomfortable”, and “Bush in plea for more DV support”.

The headlines go on and on. (..) I note that in the package the Government has introduced we are looking at perpetrator behaviour. We have to do that. I wish I had 50 minutes, not 5 minutes, to talk about this.

Dr Hugh McDermott: Five hours.

Ms JANELLE SAFFIN: Yes, five hours. We need to open up. On International Women’s Day I said, “We’re so sedate. It’s so polite. We’re having these wonderful lunches. Aren’t we lovely?” I said, “We need to be on the street screaming.” That is what I am doing here.

Link to full speech here.

 

For more National Australia News, visit here.

Advertisements
Tenterfield-The Bowlo
Continue Reading

Business News

US giant Hard Rock flatly denies a takeover for The Star

Published

on

By

NSW-Northern-Rivers-Breaking-News
Advertisements
Alumy Creek Angus - Stud Angus Sires Tenterfield - Top of the Range Angus Genetics

US giant Hard Rock flatly denies a takeover for The Star

 

Hard Rock International has unequivocally denied any involvement in a takeover bid for The Star Entertainment Group (ASX: SGR). The US-based casino and hospitality giant released an official statement overnight refuting claims that it is part of a consortium aiming to acquire the Australian casino operator.

The denial came in response to a statement from The Star, which suggested that Hard Rock was part of a group exploring a “potential transaction” with the company.
“Hard Rock International wants to clarify that it is not engaged in, nor has it authorized, any discussions, activities, or negotiations related to a proposed bid for The Star,” the company stated. “Furthermore, Hard Rock International has not permitted the use of its brand in any proposed bid for The Star by any third party.”

This rebuttal has created confusion, as The Star’s previous statement identified Hard Rock Hotels & Resorts (Pacific) as part of the consortium, implying a connection to Hard Rock.

The US company strongly disputed this claim, even suggesting potential misuse of its brand. “Our brand is built on a legacy of integrity, excellence, and a commitment to our guests, partners, and team members worldwide,” Hard Rock stated. “Any unauthorized use of the Hard Rock name in business dealings is taken very seriously. We are currently investigating this matter and will take all necessary legal actions to protect our brand and reputation.”

Hard Rock urged stakeholders and the public to rely solely on official communications from Hard Rock International for accurate information regarding its business activities and partnerships.

The Star responded briefly to Hard Rock’s statement but did not provide further clarification. The company reiterated that it had not received any proposal directly from Hard Rock International.

“The Star confirms that it has not engaged in substantive discussions with the consortium regarding its proposal,” The Star stated. The company acknowledged Hard Rock International’s statement, which clarified its non-involvement in any discussions or negotiations related to a proposal for The Star.

The Star’s initial statement followed media speculation about a potential takeover or recapitalisation plan amid a second Bell inquiry into the company’s suitability to hold a casino license in NSW. The news of a possible transaction led to a 20% increase in The Star’s share price, closing at 54 cents.

 

For more business news, click here.

Advertisements
Tenterfield-The Bowlo
Continue Reading

NRTimes Online

NGULINGAH LALC MEMBER’S MEETING

Advertisement

National News Australia

Latest News

Verified by MonsterInsights