Connect with us
Byron Bay News and Weather copy
Mt Warning News and Weather copy
Kyogle News
Grafton News and Events copy
Byron Bay News and Weather copy
Mt Warning News and Weather copy
Kyogle News
Grafton News and Events copy
previous arrow
next arrow

2022 Floods

Flood-affected households to get cash grants

Published

on

THE NSW NORTHERN RIVERS TIMES NEWSPAPER

Flood-affected households to get cash grants

Australian Red Cross will provide $20,000 support to family of those who sadly lost their lives in the Queensland and New South Wales floods, and also distribute a $500 cash grant to impacted households in flood-stricken communities following Saturday night’s nationwide telethon.

More than 92,000 people across Australia donated $25.2 million during the live telethon, which was broadcast for more than four hours simultaneously across three networks – Channels 9, 7 and 10.

Red Cross CEO Kym Pfitzner said it was an incredible display of generosity from people across Australia who pitched in to support the hundreds of thousands of people affected by the floods.

“Every cent raised through the telethon will now be distributed as cash grants,” he said.

“The telethon was an enormous success, enabling us to provide some additional support to those who need it. On behalf of Red Cross, thank you to everyone who donated. It really shows impacted communities how much you care.

“Red Cross is grateful for the efforts of Channels 9, 7 and 10, who came together with the help of 600 volunteers, staff and celebrities across three states to unite the nation to support flooded communities.”

Mr Pfitzner said the response to the telethon extended well beyond the funds raised.

“This represents a national outpouring of humanitarian support for flood-hit communities. The scale of the support is what’s really heart-warming.”

Funds raised through the telethon will support two types of cash grants:

• Bereavement grants of $20,000 to support senior next-of-kin of those who died as a direct result of the floods with immediate needs (funeral and other related expenses).

• A $500 relief grant per household to help with basic needs such as food, clothing or personal items for people whose primary place of residence was affected by the floods and who are experiencing financial hardship as a result.

Grant applications will open on Friday 18 March at redcross.org.au/grants, with a simple online form to be completed. Once the required information has been received, grants will be processed quickly, with first payments expected to be made from 21 March.

“At this point in time, estimates of how many households were impacted are variable. We will distribute the grants until all eligible applications have been processed or available funds are exhausted.

“With the telethon appeal now closed, people can still donate through the ongoing Red Cross floods appeal. Funding into that appeal in the last week from our corporate partners and philanthropic funders has meant Red Cross is able to continue to deliver immediate community response needs on the ground, and ensure we are able to support long term recovery.

The flood appeal will add to the funds already received from the telethon to help as many people as possible with cash assistance, support our current response on the ground and on-going recovery work in flood-impacted communities.

Mr Pfitzner stressed that the generosity of the broadcast networks, celebrities and volunteers behind the telethon, along with other major supporters, meant that no funds raised on the night of the telethon would be used for essential support costs.

“Reports about donations received, grants applications and how the money is spent will be made available on our website regularly in line with our practice of transparent appeals reporting.

“In addition to providing cash assistance Red Cross has had about 460 people in the field and has supported nearly 12,000 people in 50 evacuation and recovery centres, ensuring people have a safe place to sleep and access to food and water, and connecting them with the services and other help they need,” Mr Pfitzner said.

“The scale of the damage and number of people impacted is immense. It’s going to take a long time to recover, but Red Cross will be there for communities for the long haul, working side by side with our not-for-profit and government partners in the affected areas.

“We’re tremendously grateful for the support of the broadcast networks, along with more than 20 corporate and philanthropic partners. People can also donate in person at partners including Coles, Australia Post, the Commonwealth Bank, who are collecting in stores.”

Mr Pfitzner said grant applications would remain open until all eligible applications had been processed or available funds were exhausted.

Advertisements
Tenterfield-The Bowlo

2022 Floods

$300,000 funding agreement to help deliver flood resilient land in the Byron Shire

Published

on

By

Janelle Saffin, Paul Scully, Michael Lyon Resilient Lands Program Saddle Road Precinct

$300,000 funding agreement to help deliver flood resilient land in the Byron Shire

 

The NSW Government is providing Byron Shire Council $300,000 through the Resilient Lands Program to provide safe, flood resilient land for new housing at the Saddle Road Precinct in Brunswick Heads.

The funding from the NSW Reconstruction Authority (RA) will allow Council to complete a Structure Plan, Infrastructure Priority Plan, technical studies, and community engagement to investigate suitability for new housing and public infrastructure in the precinct.

Located on the western side of the Pacific Motorway, the site is just five minutes by car to Brunswick Heads and eight to Mullumbimby. It is well above projected flood heights which will provide opportunities for new homes off the flood plain.

Saddle Road is the third site to be identified under the RA’s Resilient Lands Program (RLP). The site is also the first to be identified outside of the Lismore LGA under the program, and has also been flagged in Byron Shire Council’s Residential Strategy as a key site for future residential development.

It follows the recent announcement of 400 new lots in East Lismore and up to 50 new households in the Mount Pleasant Estate at Goonellabah.

While the final number of homes at Saddle Road will be determined following detailed planning and community engagement, based on site-specifications, it is estimated between 500-800 homes could be delivered.

The RLP is accelerating the delivery of new land and housing options, linking with the $700 million Resilient Homes Program (RHP), giving flood impacted homeowners a pathway to move to a safer location.

The RA will work with RHP buyback participants to secure suitable and affordable land and will provide further support to those eligible who wish to relocate their existing homes.

For more information, visit NSW Reconstruction Authority.

Minister for Planning and Public Spaces Paul Scully said:

“This funding is a win-win for the community and Byron Shire Council.

“Not only will it help to unlock flood-resilient lots for people to build on, it also helps Council and the NSW Government deliver on its promise of more homes for our growing population.

“The land is positioned near existing services and an established community and will provide a beautiful, safe place to live for those affected by the nearby flood plain.”

Parliamentary Secretary for Disaster Recovery Janelle Saffin said:

“The announcement of this third site under the Resilient Lands Program is the first one outside of Lismore.

“Locals communities and Councils can be assured that the wheels of the RLP are starting to turn right across the Northern Rivers.

“This announcement will be followed by others in our local government areas and will see more land become available, giving people accepting buybacks in the Resilient Homes Program a variety of places to choose from.”

Byron Shire Council Mayor Michael Lyon said:

“We are thrilled to receive this initial funding support which will not only benefit members of our community displaced by the natural disasters in 2022, but also address the housing crisis that has existed since before the floods.

“Council can now get on with the important job of structure planning for this site on The Saddle Road and get the land ready for building flood-resilient houses more quickly which is a huge win.

“The work ahead includes an Aboriginal Heritage and Environmental Sensitivity Assessment, a Structure Plan that includes a vision and concept plan for the site, a Planning Proposal to amend Council’s LEP and an Infrastructure Priority Plan that addresses the infrastructure required to support a new community such as roads, sewer and water.

“As these works are progressed, we look forward to working with our community to achieve the best outcomes.”

 

For more Byron Bay news, click here.

Advertisements
Tenterfield-The Bowlo
Continue Reading

2022 Floods

Lismore’s Damaged Structures Demolished for New Facilities

Published

on

By

NSW-Northern-Rivers-Breaking-News

Lismore’s Damaged Structures Demolished for New Facilities

 

In a significant development for Lismore’s recovery, demolition work has started on eight buildings that were critically damaged during the 2022 flood disaster.

This marks a pivotal step in the city’s efforts to rebuild and revitalise affected areas.

Brett Lee, the Council’s program manager, highlighted the necessity of these demolitions for public safety and the future reactivation of the sites. “These buildings have long served the community, but the extensive damage from the February 2022 natural disaster means it’s time to clear the way for new developments,” he stated.

Demolition activities kicked off last week with the takedown of the old Essential Energy building located at the corner of Ballina Road and Conway Street. The next structures slated for removal include the old Scout Hall on Wilson Street and the Humbley Oval Hockey Club Kiosk.

Plans are also set for the demolition of the toilet block and pumphouse at Lismore Lake, to be replaced by a new modular toilet to serve the lake park patrons.

Furthermore, the weatherboard building at Sam Trimble Oval is due to be replaced with a new facility that includes an accessible toilet with timed locks, a large shade shelter, lockable storage, and utility access. The existing brick amenities block at this location will also undergo upgrades.

At Neilson Park in East Lismore, the canteen or old cricket shed will be razed to make room for a new modular toilet/changeroom. Similarly, the amenities block at Wade Park and McKenzie Park in North Lismore are scheduled for demolition to pave the way for the installation of modern modular toilets.

These developments are part of a broader initiative to not only enhance the infrastructure but also to ensure Lismore’s resilience and readiness for future challenges. The community looks forward to the completion of these projects, which promise improved amenities and a revitalized urban environment.

 

For more local Lismore news, click here.

Advertisements
Tenterfield-The Bowlo
Continue Reading

2022 Floods

Jewellery Design Centre Launches “Tell Our Stories” to Celebrate Lismore’s History

Published

on

By

Jewellery Design Centre

Jewellery Design Centre Launches “Tell Our Stories” to Celebrate Lismore’s History

 

Advertorial by Daniel Pinkerton

The Lismore Jewel Centre, a beloved fixture in the community, has reopened its doors in the Starcourt Arcade under a new name: Jewellery Design Centre. To celebrate they are launching a heartwarming initiative to commemorate the history and cherished memories of Lismore and the old store.

“Since reopening, we’ve had so many come and tell us how happy they are we’re back and share their fond memories of the old Jewel Centre” says owners Gary and Mariska Pinkerton.

“We love it, and so we want to invite more people to share their stories with us!”

The old Lismore Jewel Centre now known as Jewellery Design Centre now launches Launches "Tell Our Stories"

The old Lismore Jewel Centre. It will be missed dearly.

The ‘Tell Our Stories’ campaign invites locals to share their personal stories of connection, community and the special jewellery that has played an important role in their lives.

“The stories have played a special role in our lives too,” says Mariska.

“While we were closed after the flood, we did house calls and had customers come visit us at home which put a whole new light on the jewellery experience. All of a sudden the glitz was gone and our appointments were stripped back to just us and our customers. In this setting people naturally began to share their heart felt experiences with us, and we got to know them in a whole new way.”

It was this experience, they explain, that inspired the new Jewellery Design Centre in Lismore’s Starcourt Arcade.

“It’s smaller and not as ritzy as the old Jewel Centre was,” says Gary of the new store, “But for us it captures that feeling we felt when we would sit around dining tables with our customers.”

Jewellery Design Centre Launches "Tell Our Stories"

Just like home- a picture of the new interior’s cosy setting.

Gary and Mariska are now inviting community members to visit the store and share their own memories and experiences, with the chance to win exciting prizes.

Each person who shares their story online or in-store will be entered into a draw to win a $500 voucher, while those who have a piece repaired, remade, or custom-designed during the campaign period will have the opportunity to win a pair of $1,500 diamond earrings.

“We especially want to hear stories about the rich history of Lismore, memories of the old Jewel Centre or touching moments where jewellery has played a special part in your life.”

“More than the prizes, this is about celebrating the stories of the Northern Rivers and the memories that bind us together,” says Mariska.

Jewellery Design Centre Launches "Tell Our Stories"

Entries are open until May 24. For more information about the “Tell Our Stories” giveaway and how to participate, visit the Jewellery Design Centre in the Starcourt Arcade or follow the QR codes below to their social media channels.

 

For more business news, click here.

Advertisements
Tenterfield-The Bowlo
Continue Reading

NRTimes Online

Advertisement

KC-Farm-Equipment

National News Australia

Latest News

Verified by MonsterInsights