Connect with us
The Northern Rivers Times | NSW Northern Rivers News
NSW Northern Rivers Makets
The Northern Rivers Times | NSW Northern Rivers News
NSW Northern Rivers Makets
previous arrow
next arrow

Local News

Alfresco Dining trial Byron Bay

Published

on

Alfresco Dining trial Byron Bay

Alfresco Dining trial Byron Bay

AN alfresco dining trial that began last year in Sydney and was expanded to include Byron Bay is set to become permanent.

Planning is underway to make outdoor eating and drinking a permanent feature of the state’s hospitality scene with the current six-month trial due to end on October 30.

Minister for Digital and Minister for Customer Service Victor Dominello said the feedback and results from the trial had been overwhelmingly positive.

“This is a no brainer given the glorious weather and venues this state has to offer,” Mr Dominello said.

“Over 200 venues, more than 130 of them licensed, have taken part in the trial which has created capacity for 3350 additional patrons.”

NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet said more freedom and outdoor dining opportunities was a commonsense move which had been embraced by the community and would deliver an economic benefit to business and the state.

“You can’t eat red tape so we need to do everything we can to make it easier for businesses to operate and in the process ensure people can enjoy themselves outdoors in one of the most wonderful climates in the world,” Mr Perrottet said.

Minister for Planning and Public Spaces Rob Stokes said the scheme worked by slashing red tape to allow pubs, cafes and restaurants to expand onto footpaths and public spaces so extra customers could enjoy their dining experience in a COVID-safe way.

“The trial has shown the benefits of creating new business opportunities in the hospitality sector by removing barriers to outdoor dining,” Mr Stokes said.

“With less than five months until the trial ends, now is the time to look at making the changes permanent as we create a new normal for the hospitality industry as the pandemic continues.”

The trial began last year in The Rocks and Darling Harbour before expanding to seven council areas including the City of Sydney, Randwick City Council, City of Parramatta, Narrabri Council, Inner West Council, Northern Beaches Council and Byron Shire Council.

Continue Reading

Local News

Changed traffic conditions for the Woolgoolga to Ballina upgrade

Published

on

By

NSW Northern Rivers Local News & Events

Changed traffic conditions for the Woolgoolga to Ballina upgrade

Motorists are advised of changed traffic conditions on the Pacific Highway and local roads from Monday 21 to Sunday 27 June for the Woolgoolga to Ballina upgrade, weather permitting.

There will be no roadwork on the Pacific Highway between Kew and the Queensland border from 6am Friday 25 June to 6am Monday 28 June due to the high traffic volume expected for the school holidays.
From Monday, there will be four days of work next to the Pacific Highway at Coolgardie to carry out vegetation maintenance. Motorists can expect lane closures and traffic control at times between 7am and 3pm.
Also from Monday, there will be up to four days of work on the Pacific Highway between Broadwater and Devils Pulpit to install and remove signage and carry out maintenance and finishing work. Motorists can expect lane closures, traffic control, short stoppages and a reduced speed limit at times between 6am and 6pm.
The northbound U-turn near Swan Bay New Italy Road will be temporarily closed on Monday and Wednesday, with Thursday as a contingency if required. The next available U-turn for northbound motorists is less than two kilometres north near Whites Road.
Further south from Monday, there will be up to four days of work on the Pacific Highway between Harwood and the Pillar Valley to carry out survey monitoring, vegetation maintenance and fencing. Motorists can expect lane and shoulder closures, traffic control, short stoppages and a reduced speed limit at times between 6am and 6pm.

Additional changes to local roads

From Monday, there will be four days of work on Woodburn Evans Head Road, Woodburn to carry out survey monitoring. Motorists can expect lane closures and traffic control at times between 6am and 6pm.
Also from Monday, there will be five days of work on Swan Bay New Italy Road, New Italy to carry out private access work. Motorists can expect lane closures and traffic control at times between 6am and 6pm.
From Thursday, there will be two days of work on the former Pacific Highway, near the Woodburn interchange to carry out private access work. Motorists can expect shoulder closures and traffic control at times between 6am and 6pm.
For the latest traffic updates download the Live Traffic NSW App, visit livetraffic.com or call 132 701.

Continue Reading

Local News

Changed traffic conditions on Big River Way at South Grafton

Published

on

By

Changed traffic conditions on Big River Way at South Grafton

Motorists are advised of changed traffic conditions from next week on Big River Way at South Grafton to carry out safety improvement work near Heber Street.

Work will be carried out from Monday 21 June to widen the road shoulder on a 200 metre section of road to allow for improved traffic movements around the intersection.

Work will be carried out from 7am to 6pm on weekdays and from 8am to 1pm on Saturdays, and is expected to take two weeks to complete, weather permitting.

The northern access to Heber Street will be closed for the duration of the project, with a detour in place during this time.

Traffic control and a reduced speed limit will be in place for the safety of workers and motorists.

Delays of up to five minutes may be experienced and motorists are advised to allow extra travel time, drive to the conditions, and follow the directions of signs and traffic control..

Transport for NSW thanks motorists for their patience during this time.

For the latest traffic updates download the Live Traffic NSW App, visit livetraffic.com or call 132 701.

Continue Reading

Local News

Long awaited good news on the Ag Visa

Published

on

By

Agriculture Minister David Littleproud

Long awaited good news on the Ag Visa

AUSVEG, the peak industry body for the Australian vegetable industry, has welcomed the announcement that the Federal Government will make a new agriculture work visa available to all 10 countries across South-East Asia.

The new visa would provide a wider pool of workers available to Australian agriculture from the UK and the ten ASEAN countries and will help to meet ongoing seasonal workforce gaps that continue through the pandemic.

According to the announcement from Agriculture Minister David Littleproud, the new seasonal agricultural worker visa would mirror the existing Seasonal Worker Programme and will add to the pool of workers available to work on Australian farms.

“The horticulture industry has been calling for a dedicated and productive workforce for many years and this morning’s announcement is great news for the sector,” said AUSVEG National Manager – Public Affairs Tyson Cattle.

“Growers require access to a productive, reliable and competent workforce and while Working Holiday Makers will always have a role to play within our industry, giving growers and workers a pathway to primarily work on-farm should be seen as a major step froward for the development of the horticulture sector.”

“The ASEAN countries are some of our closest trading partners, so extending the Agriculture Visa to these countries makes economic sense and demonstrates our commitment in helping our regional neighbours.”

“What we need now is timely action to get this visa class up and running so that we can start bringing in workers as soon as possible when borders open up and international workers are able to enter the country.”

“While we await more details around the visa arrangements for this visa class, we understand the new visa will build on the successful Seasonal Worker Programme and Pacific Labour Scheme visas that have proved invaluable to the agriculture sector over the past 12 months.”

“This announcement is a positive development in our industry’s calls for a dedicated labour source to harvest and package fruits and vegetables.”

“We look forward to working with the Federal Government to ensure that the agriculture-specific visa meets the needs of growing businesses around the country and provides an effective solution to the industry’s growing labour shortages.”

Continue Reading

Latest News

Subscribe for our newsletter!

error: Content is © Copyright protected !!