Connect with us
Byron Bay News and Weather copy
Mt Warning News and Weather copy
Kyogle News
Grafton News and Events copy
Byron Bay News and Weather copy
Mt Warning News and Weather copy
Kyogle News
Grafton News and Events copy
previous arrow
next arrow

Sports News

Commonwealth Games 2022 – Birmingham Update – Day 6



Alumy Creek Angus - Stud Angus Sires Tenterfield - Top of the Range Angus Genetics

Birmingham Update – Day 6

The Aussies have added 17 medals to their tally, with four gold, six silver and seven bronze on Day 6 in Birmingham.

Our swimmers capped off their dominance in the pool with nine more medals, three each of gold, silver and bronze.

Ariarne Titmus finished her extraordinary Games campaign with gold and a Games record in the 400m freestyle (3:58.06) to take the 200m, 400m and 800m treble.

Sam Short stormed home to win his first individual gold medal, the 1500m freestyle, in his debut Games. The team of Kaylee McKeown, Chelsea Hodges, Emma McKeon and Mollie O’Callaghan triumphed in the 4 x 100m medley relay.

In the men’s 4 x 100m medley relay, Bradley Woodward, Zac Stubblety-Cook, Matt Temple and Kyle Chalmers narrowly missed gold by 0.08 seconds, to finish with silver.

Silver medals also went to Ben Hance in the 200m freestyle S14 and Mollie O’Callaghan in the 50m backstroke, while Jack Ireland (200m freestyle S14) and Kiah Melverton (400m freestyle) will bring home bronze.

With 30,000 people in the stands at Alexander Stadium, sprinter Evan O’Hanlon claimed the Australian athletics team’s 200th Commonwealth Games gold medal.

O’Hanlon clocked a Commonwealth Games record and a season-best in winning the men’s T37/T38 100m sprint, while Brandon Starc has leaped to silver in the high jump, clearing 2.25m.

Heptathlete Taneille Crase has finished fifth in one of the most gruelling events at the Games. Crase produced a personal best of 6.23m in the long jump and a time of 2:19:50 in the 800m.

Lining up as one of the fastest men in the world, “The Flying Mullet”, Rohan Browning, ran sixth in the 100m final, just 0.18 seconds behind the winner, Ferdinand Omanyala from Kenya. Browning was the first Aussie to make the men’s 100m final since 2010.

And Isobel Batt-Doyle was eighth across the line in the women’s 10,000m.

Our oldest team member and national treasure, 63-year-old lawn bowler Cheryl Lindfield, has made a remarkable Commonwealth Games debut, winning the silver medal in the Para-pairs B6/B8 with partner Serena Bonnell. They led 2-1 after three ends before Scotland broke away to a 17-5 victory.

Earlier in the day, lawn bowler Aaron Wilson continued to build on his men’s singles title defence as he defeated Kenya’s Cephas Kimwaki Kimani 21-15 to sit atop Group A.

Women’s singles gold medallist Ellen Ryan and her teammate Kristina Krstic had a sensational morning in the pairs with two wins: 21-15 over Wales and a 40-6 demolition of Canada, to ensure their place in the knockout stages of the competition.

In the women’s triples, Lynsey Clarke, Natasha Van Eldik and Rebecca Van Asch started the day with a 29-8 win over the Falkland Islands before a 17-12 loss to South Africa. And in the vision-impaired mixed pairs, Jake Fehlberg and Helen Boardman came from behind to beat South Africa.

In her Games debut, 21-year-old Zoe Cuthbert felt the support from home as she took the silver in the women’s cross-country final (bike). In the men’s event Sam Fox finished sixth, ahead of Daniel McConnell in seventh place, who was competing in his third Games.

The weightlifting arena was the place to be with music and cheers you could hear all over Birmingham. Charisma Amoe-Tarrant embraced the crowd, winning bronze with a 100kg snatch and 139kg clean and jerk. She adds this to her silver in 2018 when she represented Nauru. Jackson Young was fifth in the men’s 109kg, with a 145kg snatch and 202kg clean and jerk. Suamili Nanai finished in sixth position, lifting 160kg in the snatch and 201kg in the clean and jerk.

The judo squad has notched up three more medals to end their successful Games campaign. Harry Cassar, Abigail Paduch and Liam Park won bronze in the men’s 90kg, women’s 78kg and men’s 100kg categories. The judokas leave Birmingham with two gold medals and eight bronze.

The Hockeyroos are yet to concede a goal in Birmingham, defeating Scotland 2-0 in their fourth pool match. Moving into the semi-final, they sit on top of the women’s pool B table. The Kookaburras also remain undefeated in the men’s tournament, with a 3-0 win over South Africa. They will face Pakistan in their final pool match tomorrow.

Boxers Kaye Frances Scott, Caitlin Parker and Callum Peters all had wins in their women’s light middleweight, women’s middleweight, and men’s middleweight categories respectively.

Australia’s mixed doubles badminton teams of Tran Hoang Pham/Angela Yu and Lin Ying Xiang/-Gronya Sommerville are both through to the round of 32 after prevailing over the Falkland Islands teams in two sets. Our women’s doubles teams have also progressed, with Angela Yu/Kaitlyn Ea defeating the Maldives and Wendy Chen/Gronya Sommerville beating Pakistan. And both Lin Ying Xiang and Nathan Tang will compete in the men’s singles in the round of 32.

Our women’s T20 cricket side has finished the pool matches undefeated after a comfortable 44-run victory over Pakistan. An unbeaten partnership of 141 from Tahlia McGrath (78 off 51) and Beth Mooney (70 off 49) settled the Aussie innings before McGrath followed up with the ball, snaring 3-11 from three overs.

Beach volleyballers Chris McHugh and Paul Burnett overcame a stiff challenge from Rwanda to seal top spot on the Pool B table with a 21-16, 21-18 win.

In table tennis, Dillon Chambers and Finn Luu blasted through their round robin matches in the men’s singles, storming into the knock-out stages.

And in squash, both pairings of Zac Alexander and Rachael Grinham and defending Commonwealth Games mixed doubles champions Donna Lobban and Cameron Pilley have progressed to the last 16.

The action continues live on 7Plus tonight from 5.30pm AEST.

Tenterfield-The Bowlo
Continue Reading

Local News

Stumpy heads poll for indigenous jersey honour




Alumy Creek Angus - Stud Angus Sires Tenterfield - Top of the Range Angus Genetics

Stumpy heads poll for indigenous jersey honour


By Tim Howard

Legendary South Grafton rugby league player Kevin “Stumpy” Stevens could be the face of his old club, the Sydney Roosters, for its Indigenous jersey in 2025.

The Roosters, or Eastern Suburbs as they were know when Stumpy and his brother Terry ventured to Sydney in 1973, have put up a poll on the club website, asking fans to vote for the player they would like to see adorning the club’s indigenous jumper next season.

The Roosters have given fans the names of five indigenous players to choose from: Shannon Hegarty, Craig Salvatori, Matt Sing, Andrew Walker and Stevens.

So far Stumpy heads to the poll with 40% of the votes cast, ahead of Walker on 37%.

The brothers came to Eastern Suburbs as a package deal after helping the Rebels to a premiership in 1972 and quickly attracted plenty of attention.

Unfortunately injury cut short Terry’s rise through the ranks, but by 1975 master coach Jack Gibson made Stumpy a key part of his triumphant side.

He was a vital part of the grand final winning team that thrashed St George 38-0.

The club had an outstanding lock forward in Ron Coote and Barry Reilly was no slouch at the back of the scrum either.

But Gibson moved both those champions into the second row to accommodate Stevens.

He featured prominently in the club’s biggest moments in the 1970s, playing lock in the 1975 and 1978 Amco Mid-Season Cup final winning teams, five-eighth in the 1974 Wills Pre-Season Cup final victory, at lock in the 1975 grand final, and at halfback in the World Club Challenge one year later, scoring a try.

Injuries slowed down Stumpy’s career later in the 70s, but in 1981 Gibson, now coaching at Parramatta, stunned the league world by luring Stevens out west, where he played in the second row and was a key player in the Eels breakthrough grand final win that year.

The Stumpy Stevens names lives on at the Rebels with Kevin’s son Grant leading the Rebels this season.

In the 2022 grand final win Grant was named player of the match and he continues to play a leading role for the Rebels with his crunching defence and strong ball carrying.

Go to the Roosters website and have your say on who should be the face on the clubs 2025 indigenous jumper.


For more sports news, click here.

Tenterfield-The Bowlo
Continue Reading

Local News

Roosters put Ghosts down pecking order




Alumy Creek Angus - Stud Angus Sires Tenterfield - Top of the Range Angus Genetics

Roosters put Ghosts down pecking order


By Tim Howard

The crowd at Grafton Ghosts home ground, Frank McGuren Field were treated to a display of champagne football on Saturday hosting competition favourites the Nambucca Roosters.

Unfortunately for the home crowd most of the champagne was flowing from the Roosters who crushed the Ghosts 62-12.

Nambucca gave the Ghosts a taste of what was to come in the eighth minute when they were hot on attack in the Roosters quarter.

A loose pass fell into the hands of half Logan Jones who found speedy centre Dane Saunders sprinting onto the ball.

He galloped 60 metres to score in the left corner. Fullback and kicker Tyronne Roberts-Davis missed the conversion.

Roberts Davis was in the action again a few minutes later as the Rooster found themselves attacking down the right side in the Ghosts end zone.

Two looping passes back to the left found Roberts-Davis with the ball in centre field.

He punched a grubber kick towards the goal line, which bounced over the fingers of winger Liam Bloomer, but into the arms of Roosters flyer Beau Langford, who touched down about five metres in from touch on the left side of the field.

This time Roberts-Davis was successful with the kick, giving the Roosters a 10-0 lead about 15 minutes in.

From the kick off the Ghosts enjoyed one of their few lucky breaks of the day.

Cooper Woods long kick-off hit the crossbar and bounced into the field of play and Nambucca Jones fumbled his attempt pick up the loose ball.

Bloomer seized on the opportunity and skirted the defence to score in the right corner.

Woods’ kick from the sideline was successful with the Ghosts back in the game at 10-6.

But the advantage was short lived.

From the kick-off they surrendered possession on the first tackle of the set giving Nambucca great field position to work in.

They nearly blew it. Their live-wire lock Jay Melrose was forced to clean up a sloppy pass from dummy half and as he wrestled with the defence, was able to slip a short ball to five-eighth Tyreece Sines.

He dashed across field and was able to reach out and put the ball across the line about 10m in from the right touch line. Roberts-Davis converted for a 16-6 lead.

The Ghosts tried to hit back and were attacking in the Roosters quarter when a short kick for the line bounced up for winger Jack Margetts.

He broke free of a tackle and pass to Jones who showed plenty of pace on a 70m dash to the tryline. The conversion was unsuccessful leaving the scoreline at 20-6.

With 10 minutes remaining in the half, the Roosters were in again, this time attacking down the right side of the field.

Melrose turned up in the outside centre position and passed to substitute Toby Batten.

Confronted by a wall of defenders he flung a long ball infield, which Margetts held onto and raced over to score under the posts. The conversion was successful putting the Roosters ahead 26-6.

The Ghosts showed what they could do from the restart when the Roosters knocked the ball dead in goal from the kick off.

They tried a short restart, but the Ghosts regathered and on the next play attacked on the right side of the field.

Woods showed great sleight of hand to deceive the Roosters defence with a short ball to Jake Martin, who raced over to score near the posts.

Woods’ conversion made it 26-12.

The Ghosts looked attack in the final minutes of the half and with two minute left after a wild scuffle on at the sidelines, Roberts-Davis was sent to the sin bin.

But it was the Roosters who had the final say in the half when centre Rhys Hambly was penalised for a high shot on Jones as the halftime hooter sounded.

Batten knocked over the penalty from close range to make the score 28-12.

The Ghosts came out for the second half a player up with Roberts-Davis in the bin for the opening minutes.

But it made little difference to the play.

The Roosters scored again from depth when Sines made a break on half way, found hooker Jacob Welsh backing up, who fought through a tackle and pass infield to Margetts.

The winger dummied, straightened and forced his way across the line just to the left of the posts.

The winger scored his third try five minutes later, again backing up a Welsh break down the right, which gave him a clear run to the line.

Roberts-Davis returned from the bin, happy to have seen his side score twice during his absence.

The game became a procession for the Roosters in the second half with the Roosters scoring almost every time they entered the Ghosts quarter.

Jones evaded three defenders to score in the corner to make it 44-12.

The Roosters reached 50 with another try to Jones backing up a Margetts break down the right wing.

Roberts-Davis next score showed the Roosters at their attacking best.

Running out of their half Sines placed a delightful short kick into space, which Roberts sprinting through, caught on the full.

He threw a dummy to wrong foot the cover and then sprinted 50m to score under the posts.

Sines finished the scoring with another sweeping move into the right corner. Roberts-Davis converted from the sideline to finish the scoring with a couple of minutes left.

The Ghosts were short handed for this crucial game against the competition favourites.

Rugged prop Oliver Percy was out as was hard tackling second rower Cameron Winters.

It forced captain coach Dylan Collett to move from the centres to second row, where he tackled himself to a standstill.

Yet such was the ad-lib style of the Nambucca team that the Ghosts defence up the middle was relatively sound.

Of the 11 tries they conceded three were length of the field breaks, several more were scored from 50 to 60m out and all were scored by the backs.

The Roosters made a mockery of the conventional wisdom of rucking the ball out of defence. Many times they swung the ball wide early in the tackle count and deep in their half.

On attack they moved the ball from one side of the field to the other, searching for gaps.

The South Grafton Rebels continue to struggle going down 30-26 to Sawtell. Both sides scored five tries, but the goal kicking of Sawtell’s Dean Wearing, who kicked five from five, was the difference in the scores.

On Sunday the Ghosts will host Macksville, looking to avenge their bitter 34-22 round five defeat.

It’s a vital game for the fifth-placed Ghosts who trail Macksville by just one point.

The Rebels are on the road to Nambucca and face a mighty task to topple the front runners on their home turf after losing out to the 46-12 at home on May 19.


For more sports news, click here.

Tenterfield-The Bowlo
Continue Reading

Local News

Collett back to try-scoring best




Dylan Collett Grafton Ghost
Alumy Creek Angus - Stud Angus Sires Tenterfield - Top of the Range Angus Genetics

Collett back to try-scoring best


By Tim Howard

Grafton Ghosts try scoring wizard Dylan Collett has overturned a 2024 drought in style, touching down four times as his team romped to a 28-10 win over the Coffs Harbour Comets.

The Comets, languishing at the foot of the Group 2 Rugby League table, came to Frank McGuren Field, desperate for a win to open their account for the season.

The first 20 minutes was an arm wrestle as the game swept from end to end, with both teams threatening to score, but unable to cross the line.

The Ghosts finally broke through midway through the half, turning a stirring defensive effort into points.

The Comets were hammering the Ghosts line and were unlucky not to score, with last ditch Ghosts defence holding them up over the line twice in two minutes.

A raking clearing kick from fullback Toby McIntosh turned into a brilliant 40-20, putting the Ghosts on attack inside the Coffs’ quarter.

The ball swung across the field  toward the left edge, where Collett loves to attack.

Just a few metres from the line, he ran onto a short pass from hooker Mason Graham and spun out of a tackle to put the ball down around 10 metres in from touch.

Halfback Cooper Woods converted to make the score 6-0 to the home team.

The Ghosts were in again 10 minutes later courtesy of a bullocking run from big prop Oliver Percy.

Running onto a short ball from lock Jordan Gallagher, Percy turned a routine hit up into points, dragging three defenders with him over the try line.

Woods converted again to give the Ghosts a handy 12-0 lead heading into the break.

But the Comets were able to make a dent in the lead just before half time when they finally were able to capitalise on a couple of Ghosts handling errors that gifted the visitors good field position.

Attacking down the right edge, big centre Marty Ferguson brushed through some ineffectual tackles to score in the right corner.

The second half began in similar fashion to the first, with both sides trying to assert themselves.

The Comets created several close calls close to the Ghosts line but a combination of stiff defence and poor attacking options denied them a chance to narrow the lead.

The scores remained at 12-4 until 15 minutes from time when Collett ran onto a sweetly timed pass from second rower Jake Martin, which put him into the clear.

He swerved inside the fullback and touched down just to the left of the uprights to give Woods the easiest shot at goal, which he converted.

Five minutes later Collett was in again, this time receiving a popped pass on the try line and virtually falling across the line to score.

Woods pushed his conversion to the right of the posts to give a 22-4 scoreline.

Collett showed his value in defence from the restart when Ferguson managed to tap back the short kick off.

The Ghosts skipper was the only player to show any urgency to dive on the bouncing ball.

The final minutes of the game became a free-for-all as Coffs swept the ball downfield and lost possession in the Ghosts quarter.

In turn the Ghosts counter attacked down the right side with McIntosh breaking free. Two passes later Collett ran onto a pass and touched down under the posts. Woods kicked the goal to give the Ghosts a 28-4 lead with two minutes left on the clock.

The Comets were able to score a consolation try with Ferguson picking up his second try just before the siren sounded.

Curry nailed the sideline conversion to make the final score 28-10.

The lopsided score did not do justice to the effort Coffs Harbour made on the day.

They probably had equal field position stats to the Ghosts, but found the Ghosts goal line defence more difficult to break.

The Grafton Ghosts made marginally more chances, but were ruthless in taking them and this accounted for the comfortable scoreline in their favour.

On Saturday the South Grafton Rebels slumped to their fourth loss in five games, going down 26-14 in the grand final replay against Woolgoolga.

The Rebels started brilliantly and were leading the Seahorses 10-0 until they allowed Woolgoolga fullback Dane O’Hehir to score just before half time.

Big centre Shayde Perham scored early in the second half to level the scores at 10-10.

From there it was all Woolgoolga as half Tyler Murden, then Perham and O’Hehir scored tries, which Murden converted.

Rebels centre Nick McGrady’s try in the 62nd minute was the only Rebels score in the second half.

Next Sunday the Grafton Ghosts take on Woolgoolga at Solitary Islands Sports Ground Field 1 and the Rebels have the bye.


For more sports news, click here.

Tenterfield-The Bowlo
Continue Reading

NRTimes Online



National News Australia

Latest News

Verified by MonsterInsights