Connect with us
Byron Bay News and Weather copy
The Northern Rivers News
Mt Warning News and Weather copy
The Northern Rivers Weekly Advertising
Kyogle News
Grafton News and Events copy
The Northern Rivers Funerals
Byron Bay News and Weather copy
The Northern Rivers News
Mt Warning News and Weather copy
The Northern Rivers Weekly Advertising
Kyogle News
Grafton News and Events copy
The Northern Rivers Funerals
previous arrow
next arrow

Local News

Pandemic again forces cancellation of Casino Truck Show

Published

on

Pandemic again forces cancellation of Casino Truck Show

Pandemic again forces cancellation of Casino Truck Show

WITH a number of lockdowns taking place across the country, organisers of the NCP Casino Truck Show have decided that with just five weeks to go and the COVID-19 pandemic still not under control, holding the event this year would not be feasible.

A joint statement from Truck Show Organising Committee spokesman Darren Goodwin and Beef Week Festival Committee President Frank McKey explained that the health and safety of the community, attendees and exhibitors were the driving factors behind the cancellation.

Mr Goodwin also said the lockdowns meant many interstate truck drivers and trucking companies would not be able to attend.

He said the annual NCP Casino Truck Show had been a cornerstone of the Richmond Valley event calendar for a decade, and organisers strived each year to bring the best trucks from around the country to showcase to our regional communities.

“Sadly, due to the current restrictions in place around Australia, we do not believe we can produce the show our community and our visitors deserve,” Mr Goodwin said.

“The risk of running a national truck show during the current pandemic was always going to be high, and the unfortunate truth is due to the latest outbreak we may not be able to include interstate trucks.”

Mr McKey said as with any event, there was a lot of behind-the-scene work to produce a truck show of this size, and while there was the possibility the current restrictions would end before the show, it was simply not enough time to confirm a secondary outbreak would not occur.

He said as the Casino event attracted drivers from around the country, a single outbreak in a single state could result in the staging of half a show.
He said it was important to understand the truck show was not just a group of people turning up for a get together.

“There are site plans, traffic control plans and COVID safety plans to go through, and Council and Police approvals to be obtained,” Mr McKey said. “There are trophies and prizes to be ordered, and market stalls, amusement rides and entertainment to be booked.”

Mr Goodwin said the organising committee would like to thank all the drivers who had already submitted entries, and the sponsors who jumped on board early.

“Your enthusiasm helped motivate us to bring back the Truck Show in 2021, and we are disappointed we will be unable to host it this year,” he said.

“Hope is not lost for the future – we’ll be seeing you all again in 2022.”

Local News

Two additional men charged over alleged conspiracy to murder plot – Strike Force Barralier

Published

on

By

NSW-Northern-Rivers-Breaking-News

Two additional men charged over alleged conspiracy to murder plot – Strike Force Barralier

 

Organised Crime Squad detectives have charged an additional two men over an alleged murder plot under Strike Force Barralier.

Strike Force Barralier was established in December 2023 by State Crime Command’s Organised Crime Squad to investigate an alleged conspiracy to murder a man residing in the Sydney metropolitan area.

Investigations identified a group of men as allegedly being involved in a plot to murder the 30-year-old.

Three have already been charged and remain before the courts.

Following further inquiries, about 10am today (Tuesday 9 April 2024), strike force detectives travelled to Coffs Harbour Police Station where two men – aged 27 and 29 – were transferred from a correctional centre in Clarence.

The younger man was charged with conspire and agree to murder any person, and knowingly/recklessly direct criminal group assist crime.

The older man was charged with conspire and agreed to murder any person and participate criminal group contribute criminal activity.

Both men were refused bail to appear in Coffs Harbour Local Court today.

Anyone with information that may assist investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or visit here. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report information via NSW Police social media pages.

 

For more National Australia News, visit here.

Continue Reading

Coffs Harbour

F-35A LIGHTNING II AIRCRAFT TO FAREWELL COFFS HARBOUR AIRPORT AFTER COMPLETING REPAIRS

Published

on

By

F-35A LIGHTNING II AIRCRAFT

F-35A LIGHTNING II AIRCRAFT TO FAREWELL COFFS HARBOUR AIRPORT AFTER COMPLETING REPAIRS

 

A Royal Australian Air Force F-35A Lightning II aircraft will return to RAAF Base Williamtown following a short stay at Coffs Harbour Airport whilst undergoing repairs following a diversion.

The aircraft was participating in a Royal Australian Air Force training activity over the ocean off the NSW coast when it diverted to Coffs Harbour airport following an in-flight technical issue.

RAAF technicians have conducted repair works at the airport to ensure the aircraft was serviceable as soon as possible.

Residents are advised that an engine-run will be conducted at 2pm prior to the aircraft’s departure to ensure it is safe to return home to RAAF Base Williamtown.

Elevated noise levels will be associated with the engine-run activity, which is required prior to confirming the aircraft’s readiness for departure.

Strict security protocols are in place to safeguard the F-35A Lightning II aircraft whilst undergoing repairs.

The Royal Australian Air Force would like to thank Coffs Harbour Airport for their hospitality, and the local community for their ongoing support.

 

For more Coffs Harbour news, click here.

Continue Reading

Ballina News

New Ballina youth festival – Thrillfest – announced for Youth Week

Published

on

By

Thrillfest

New Ballina youth festival – Thrillfest – announced for Youth Week

 

A new youth festival, Thrillfest, will be held in Ballina for the first time during Youth Week, featuring a battle-of-the-bands, skateboarding workshops, and football drills – and free buses will ferry young people to the events.

The Ballina Youth Network is organising Thrillfest, and the not-for-profit organisation Social Futures is part of that network. The festival will be held on April 16, from 11am, at Missingham Park, Ballina with the support of Rotary Ballina, Cherry Street Sports Club, Ballina Shire Council, Hartley’s Fruit Shop and Ballina Buslines.

Social Futures Children Youth and Families Manager, Kiara McBeath said the Thrillfest lineup was a testament to the diverse interests and skills of the region’s young people.

“Thrillfest festivities kick off with the Battle of the Bands, where aspiring musicians will hit the stage to compete for amazing prizes,” Ms McBeath said. “Get ready to cheer for your favourites and witness the birth of the next big thing in music.

“You can also grab a board and join a skateboarding workshop run by Truckstop Skate School. It doesn’t matter if you’re a seasoned skater or just starting, the Truckstop experts will guide you through techniques and tricks that’ll have you owning the pavement in no time.

“And for the sports enthusiasts, join in on our lively footy drills – a chance to show off your skills and maybe even learn a few new ones.

“The day is all about celebrating young people and their immense talents – from music to skateboarding to sport. And of course, it’s all about having fun!”

There will also be interactive games, and a free BBQ lunch.

“In an effort to make Thrillfest accessible to every teen in Ballina, there will be free transport on the day,” Ms McBeath said.

“Every bus network in Ballina is supporting this event by offering free transport to Tamar Street all day long for young people,” Ms McBeath said.

“Join us for an unforgettable day of fun, friendship, and fanciful feats. Ballina’s youth are the heartbeat of our community, and Thrillfest is here to celebrate that energy and creativity.”

National Youth Week, April 11-24, is a week-long celebration of the contribution that young people make to Australia. It is a joint initiative of the Australian, State and Territory Governments. Each year, all over Australia, events are planned and organised to celebrate and recognise the contribution of young people.

 

For more local Ballina news, click here.

Continue Reading

NRTimes Online

Advertisment

National News Australia

Latest News

Verified by MonsterInsights